Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Day 1 Again

My team and I arrived at Tenwek yesterday afternoon. It has been wonderful to see some good friends and familiar facies. Many hugs all around as I was finally able to settle in and unpack for a while. The Lord graciously allowed me to sleep all night making jet lag minimal (possibly because we were just so tired). And today I jumped right in with rounds. I’d like to say it was if I had never left, but wow I’m a little rusty on some of my inpatient pediatric knowledge. But thankfully I had some time to look up some things and adjust plans as the day went. During my time here there is also a neonatologist visiting which is a tremendous blessing! Neonatology (all the little sick babies) is a totally different world even than pediatrics and it is by far my weakest area. So I am super pumped that she is here to help with our sickest and smallest babies. 

            Our team has about 25 or so kids in the pediatric wards and step down units and about 27 or so in the NICU. Many of the kids on the peds ward have heart disease, heart failure or pulmonary hypertension causing heart failure. We have some with bacterial meningitis and some with pneumonia and some with malnutrition. It has already been a taxing day on my brain (in a good way) and I have been exercising areas of my memory that seriously need to be dusted off! I can honestly say though that some things today came easier than I expected like riding a bike. As I have mentioned before though the peds team here is incredible. I’m happy to come assist and give them a break, but they make it easy to jump in and help. So all in all a good first day back to working at Tenwek hospital. I’m praying the Lord continues to give me what I need to serve and love well. Praising Him for safe travels here , a great team to work with, and a good first day back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bridegroom

I stood by the window in the church office, ready with my white dress on, hair in soft curls and make up that made me look like a movie-star...