Thursday, February 6, 2020

Live from the Jungle

Today we returned to Pucallpa from being on the river. We were able to see about 500 patients between 5 villages over the past few days. Life on the boat was wonderful, minus the bugs of course. Laying in a hammock on top of the boat just watching the jungle pass by - I’m not sure the last time I was that relaxed and at peace. I’m usually listening to music or sermons or reading during travel times abroad, but this time I was content to just ‘be.’ We had a lot of patients that simply wanted some Tylenol or ibuprofen for normal aches and pains, many wanted treatment for parasites and just about all of them asked for vitamins. Yet sprinkled throughout, someone would open up and share something we could really help with. In the past few days I’ve seen all the rashes (fungus, bacteria, parasites and all), Dengue fever, chronic obstructive lung disease, a few precious newborn babies, undiagnosed Down’s syndrome, retinoblastoma, and septic mastitis. Each of the villages was small enough that we could see everyone who came out in half a day. The second villages even mentioned that no one had ever stopped there before because they were so small. It was quite the blessing to be able to love on them. I managed and actually quite enjoyed sleeping on top of the boat on my hammock with its mosquito net. Our last night on the river we arrived to the village early and were able to play volleyball and soccer with them. Then they had an impromptu church service with us. We sang Jesus Loves Me in 3 different languages. The pastor of this church is a graduate of the Bible Institue we are partnering with on this trip. Apparently their village loves to have ‘church’ and often meets nightly. We had the opportunity to share the Gospel with many, pray over and love on all, and this morning a member of our team was baptized in the river. So, yeah it’s been a good trip so far. Tonight we return to Pucallpa and tomorrow will serve the families of the students at the Bible Institute. God is so good and I’m extremely thankful He has allowed me to be here. So, thank you all for your prayers and support.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bridegroom

I stood by the window in the church office, ready with my white dress on, hair in soft curls and make up that made me look like a movie-star...